Go to Divinity Intro | Go to Divinity Tuition and Fees Table | Go to Graduate Divinity | Go to Programs and Course Listings
Doctoral Programs and Requirements
Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.)
The Beeson School of Divinity offers the doctor of ministry (D.Min.) degree. Additional graduate programs, certificates, and joint degrees are offered as well. See the Graduate Divinity section and/or the Beeson School of Divinity Bulletin for further information on all curricular listings.
Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.)
Applicants for the doctor of ministry (D.Min.) degree must meet the following minimum criteria (Deadline: February 1):
- Master of divinity (M.Div.) degree or its equivalent from an institution(s) accredited by the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada (ATS).
- Grade point average of 3.00 or higher (on a 4.00 scale) in previous graduate-level studies. (Probationary admission possible with a GPA of 2.75 or higher.)
- Currently engaged in vocational Christian ministry, with a minimum of three years of full-time ministry experience following completion of the M.Div. degree.
- Regular responsibilities and opportunities for preaching and teaching the Scriptures.
- Completed online application (https://graduateadmission.samford.edu/apply/) and payment of non-refundable $50 application fee by check or money order (please include social security number on the memo line).
- Official transcripts from all educational institutions attended since high school.
- Current résumé.
- Philosophy of ministry essay.*
- Personal interview with the director of D.Min. studies. The interview may be conducted by videoconference for persons who live a great distance from the school. To schedule an interview, please call (205) 726-2374. Please schedule interviews several weeks prior to the application deadline.
- Recommendation forms completed by the following:
- A minister who knows the applicant well.
- A professor who knows the applicant well.
- A layperson who is familiar with the applicant’s ministry.
- A professional person who has observed the applicant’s ministry.
NOTE: Recommendation forms are automatically generated through the online application once required information is input.
- Applicants for whom English is not their first language and/or who completed their master’s degree in a language other than English must take the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language). A minimum score of 550 is required for admission.
*See the D.Min. Admission Process webpage (https://www.beesondivinity.com/application-process) for guidelines on the Philosophy of Ministry Essay.
For additional information, please contact the divinity school admissions office:
Director of Admissions
Beeson School of Divinity
Birmingham, Alabama 35229
Phone: (205) 726-2066 or 1-877-575-0595
CoursesDivinity - Ministry