2022-2023 Samford University Undergraduate Catalog 
    Jul 12, 2024  
2022-2023 Samford University Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Financial Assistance

A financial assistance program has been established to aid students in attending Samford University. Federal and State financial aid-in the form of grants, loans, and on-campus job opportunities-is provided to assist students in meeting the financial responsibilities they incur at Samford. These programs are based on financial need as demonstrated by approved financial assessment instruments. In addition, the University provides scholarships, based on criteria such as academic achievement, leadership skills, need, athletic ability, or field of study. Nearly all financial aid programs at Samford are administered by Student Financial Services (SFS).

Financial Assistance Guidelines, Programs, and Scholarships

Application Guidelines

Application for financial assistance begins when the student applies for admission to Samford University. All students are urged to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to be considered for all types of assistance. The FAFSA may be filed at www.studentaid.gov. An application priority date of February 15 has been established for 2022-2023, with students who meet this priority date comprising the first group of students awarded aid for the upcoming academic year. The FAFSA will be available on October 1, in the year prior to fall enrollment. The application priority processing date is July 15, 2022.

The financial assistance received may be from one source, such as the federal government, or may represent a combination of sources, such as the federal government, the state of Alabama, private donors, the University, and private lending institutions. Financial aid packages are based on the number of credits taken by a student. Some programs require that a student be enrolled full-time. Packages may be adjusted should the student not be enrolled full-time.

Federal Assistance Programs

Students may apply for the following federal programs which provide funds to qualified students. All need-based aid requires the student to file the FAFSA in order to establish eligibility

Pell Grants

Federal Pell Grants are need-based grants that are available to eligible undergraduate students earning their first bachelor’s degree. Students may receive a pro-rata portion of a full-time grant for enrollment less than 12 hours.

Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis to our most needy Pell Grant recipients.

Stafford Loans

Federal Stafford Loans are available to students who qualify. The application process begins with accepting the loan online through the student portal. There are two types of federal Stafford loans: subsidized and unsubsidized. Need-based Stafford loans are subsidized (interest is paid by the federal government, while in school). For unsubsidized Stafford loans, interest is charged on the loan from the time funds are disbursed to the student’s account. Eligible freshmen may borrow up to $5,500/year, sophomores $6,500/year, and juniors and seniors $7,500/year.

Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)

Federal Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) are available to parents of dependent undergraduate students. Eligible parents may borrow up to the difference between the estimated cost of attendance and all other financial aid per year.


Federal Work-Study provides on-campus and off-campus employment to students. Work-Study awards compensate students for actual hours worked.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards for Federal Assistance Programs

In order to receive federal financial aid, a student must be making satisfactory academic progress (SAP), as defined below.

Eligibility for federal financial aid will be evaluated at the end of each academic year. In the evaluation process, all grades of W (Withdrawn) and INC (Incomplete) will be counted as credits attempted but not passed. Repeated courses will be counted as attempted.

Students cannot receive aid after they have attempted 150% of the credits required for completion of their academic program. Accepted transfer credits will be used to reduce that time frame. A student also becomes ineligible for aid if and when it becomes mathematically impossible for him to complete his program within the 150% timeframe.

SAP Measurements/SAP Standards

Qualitative-Students must be accepted for admission and be eligible to enroll in classes. In addition, students must achieve and maintain a cumulative 2.00 GPA on all Samford University and transfer coursework.

Quantitative-Students must average passing 67% of all credits attempted and applied to their current program. Both Samford and transfer attempts are included in the 67% calculation.


Students who are notified of their inability to meet the SAP (Satisfactory Academic Progress) standards will be offered the opportunity to appeal the decision. A successful appeal will be based on whether or not a student’s performance was affected by personal injury or illness and/or death of an immediate family member or relative. Immediate family member is defined as mother, father, sibling, spouse, child, and grandparent. Also, a successful appeal will outline what has changed in the student’s situation that will allow for him or her to be successful, academically, in subsequent terms.

State Assistance Programs

Alabama Student Assistance Grants

Alabama Student Assistance Grants are awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis to our most needy Alabama resident Pell Grant recipients.

Alabama Student Grants

Alabama Student Grants are available through a state entitlement program for undergraduate Alabama residents attending accredited private postsecondary institutions in Alabama. Need is not a factor and grants (subject to annual variations in funding) are available to non-church vocation majors. The application may be found on the Samford One Stop website: www.samford.edu/go/onestop


The University provides numerous opportunities for earning scholarships. The Office of Admission is responsible for awarding the bulk of Samford scholarships as students enter as freshmen or transfers. For a listing of current scholarships awarded through the Admissions process by the Admissions Office, or in conjunction with that office, please see www.samford.edu/admission/scholarships. Scholarship maintenance and renewal requirements are found here and in the online student portal.

Upperclassmen may receive some scholarship funding from their academic programs of study. Academic departments should be contacted directly to determine scholarship availability. Student Financial Services does not award any merit-based scholarships.

Samford competes at the Division I level of NCAA athletics. Athletic scholarships are awarded through the Department of Athletics. Please contact the team in which you have an interest to obtain additional information concerning the recruitment process and availability of athletic scholarships.

Certain restrictions may apply to the payment of campus housing costs with university-funded aid. Specifically, full-ride scholarships will not cover the full cost of living in the West Village. The maximum amount a full ride scholarship will cover is equal to the double occupancy rate of the next highest housing option below the West Village.

For most Samford scholarships, students are given a one-semester grace period to raise a deficient cumulative Samford grade point average to the appropriate standard. During this grace period, the student is typically allowed to keep their Samford scholarship. If, by the end of the grace period, the cumulative Samford grade point average is not sufficient, the scholarship will be forfeited immediately and permanently. Also, if a student is found to have violated the University’s Code of Values, sanctions may include revocation of some or all Samford-funded aid.

Veterans Affairs Educational Benefits

There are numerous benefits designed to help veterans and/or their dependents pursue educational goals. Samford University is approved by the Alabama State Approving Agency (SAA) to offer educational benefits (GI Bill®) to eligible individuals enrolled in approved programs. The VA requires that each time a student attempts a course, the grade must be included in the cumulative grade point average. Samford University will comply with in-state tuition for Veterans as it applies to federal regulations.

No matter which type of VA benefit you plan to use, you will need to first apply for VA Benefits at www.va.gov/education/how-to-apply/. Four to six weeks are required by the VA for processing. After confirming benefit eligibility with the VA, contact the School Certifying Official or a VA Point of Contact in the Samford One Stop Office. 

VA Benefits

Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)
For service members with honorable services on or after 9/10/2001, this chapter provides up to 36 months of educational benefits. This benefit is typically available for up to 15 years following release from active duty. Payment rates are based on the amount of service completed after 9/10/2001 and range from 50% to 100% or tuition and eligible fees up to an annual cap. Learn more at www.va.gov/education/about-gi-bill-benefits/post-9-11/.

Transfer of Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits to Dependents (Chapter 33 TOE)
For dependents of Chapter 33 eligible service members, an eligible service member may transfer his or her unused Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits to a spouse or dependent. Learn more about transferring benefits at www.va.gov/education/transfer-post-9-11-gi-bill-benefits/.

Fry Scholarship
The Fry Scholarship expands the availability of Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to the children and surviving spouses of service members who die in the line of duty after September 10, 2001. Learn more at www.va.gov/education/survivor-dependent-benefits/fry-scholarship/.

Monthly Housing Allowance and Book Stipend
A monthly housing allowance (MHA) is generally the same as the military Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for an E-5 with dependents and is based on the zip code of the campus or training location where students physically attend most of their courses. Additionally, an annual book stipend of $1,000 is paid proportionately based on enrollment. These funds are sent directly to the student. View the current rates here: www.benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/resources/benefits_resources/rate_tables.asp

Yellow Ribbon Program
Samford University is a proud participant in the Yellow Ribbon Program. You must qualify for the maximum benefit rate under the Post 9/11 GI bill in order to receive Yellow Ribbon. Yellow Ribbon funds can help pay eligible tuition and fees once a student has reached the annual maximum dollar limit set by the VA. Learn more here: www.va.gov/education/about-gi-bill-benefits/post-9-11/yellow-ribbon-program/.

Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35-DEA)
The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits to the dependents or spouse of a veteran or service member who has died, been captured, is missing, or is permanently and totally disabled. If you are a child, you generally must use your benefits between the ages of 18 and 26. If you are the spouse, your benefits end 10 years from the date the VA finds you eligible or from the date of the death of your spouse. Learn more at www.va.gov/education/survivor-dependent-benefits/dependents-education-assistance/

Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
Basic eligibility requires a 6-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve and satisfactory participation in required Selected Reserve training. Chapter 1606 benefits are paid on a monthly basis directly to the reservist. Recipients must verify school attendance with VA the last day of every month at www.gibill.va.gov/wave/index.do or by calling 877-823-2378.

Veteran Readiness and Employment (Chapter 31-VR&E)
Veterans and service members may be eligible for opportunities and services offered through Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E), formerly called Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment. A VR Counselor must first determine if a veteran has an employment handicap based upon the results of the comprehensive evaluation. Entitlement to services is established if a veteran has a 20% service-connected disability and an employment handicap. If the disability is 10% service-connected, then a serious employment handicap must be found to establish entitlement to vocational rehabilitation services. Learn more at www.benefits.va.gov/vocrehab/index.asp.

What We’ll Need from You: 

Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
Letter from the VA that shows what benefit you’re eligible to us and the number of months and days of eligibility you have remaining. For Post 9/11 GI Bill recipients, this letter will show the percentage of tuition and fees the VA will pay and if the student is eligible for Yellow Ribbon Program.

Request for VA Certification Form
This form must be completed for a student to be certified by Samford’s certifying official. The form may be completed online and accessed through the Veterans’ Benefits page: www.samford.edu/departments/financial-services/veterans.

Military Transcripts
Any service member or veteran utilizing benefits for him/herself must send military transcripts to Samford in order to use VA benefits. Transcripts should be sent as part of the admission process to be reviewed for credits. These can be requested at https://afvec.us.af.mil/afvec/Home.aspx for Air Force or https://jst.doded.mil/jst/ for all other branches. 

Using VA Benefits

If using Chapter 33, VA will only pay Samford for tuition and required fees (such as University Fee and required program or course fees). Nonmandatory fees such as housing, meal plans, or parking decals may not be included for VA payment. However, the VA will pay a housing stipend directly to the student which can be used to defray the Samford bill for housing and meals. If a student is receiving any outside scholarship, for example, from a foundation or company’s scholarship program, Samford will deduct the scholarship amount from the tuition and fees reported to the VA, unless the scholarship donor has stated the funds can be used for educational expenses other than tuition and fees. Also, Samford scholarships will be deducted from tuition and fees reported to VA. Students must be registered for classes and have a bill generated for CH33 benefits to be certified. 

While VA Payments are usually received regularly, Chapter 33 students are advised NOT to depend upon VA Housing Payments for the payment of rent or other vital expenses.

Chapters 35 and 1606 will pay a monthly stipend to the student, not to the university. This stipend is intended to help defray educational costs and can be used by the student toward Samford charges or other educational costs incurred by the student, such as housing, books, or travel.

For all benefits, any changes to a student’s enrollment, such as dropping or adding a course, or withdrawing from the university must be reported to the VA. Contact the Samford VA office by emailing veterans@samford.edu to advise of any potential enrollment changes.

State Benefits

Alabama National Guard Educational Assistance Program (ANGEAP)
Members of Army Guard or Air Guard units in Alabama may apply for this program open to residents of Alabama who are enrolled in a degree program at an accredited postsecondary institution of higher learning located within the State of Alabama. The State disburses ANGEAP funds at the end of each semester or term. To be eligible for ANGEAP the student must:

  1. Be 17 years of age or over
  2. Be an active member in good standing with the Alabama National Guard
  3. Be an active member of a federally recognized unit of the Alabama National Guard
  4. Have completed basic training
  5. Be in pursuit of first undergraduate degree (students pursing a first graduate degree may also apply, but only 10% of the grant funds appropriated each year is available at the graduate level)
  6. Be enrolled in a degree program at an accredited college or university in Alabama
  7. Keep a cumulative 2.00 GPA (Undergrad); 3.00 GPA (Grad) at the end of each semester
  8. Have the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file
  9. Demonstrate financial need of at least $100.
What We’ll Need from You: 

ANGEAP Application Form
This form is available at https://ache.edu/studentasst.aspx. Please fill out the student section of the form, sign, and return to Samford One Stop. You may also email the completed form to veterans@samford.edu. Applications are due by October 1st for Fall, February 21st for Spring, and June 1st for Summer. 

Complaint Policy

For VA education beneficiaries, any complaint against the school should be routed through the VA GI Bill Feedback System: http://www.benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/Feedback.asp. VA will then follow up through the appropriate channels to investigate the complaint and resolve it satisfactorily. 

Policy for the Awarding of Samford Funded Merit- and Need-Based Scholarships and Grants 

All Samford students, including those receiving benefits through US Veterans Affairs or the US Department of Defense, are eligible for consideration to receive any Samford funded scholarships or grants, so long as application deadlines are met and awarding criteria are satisfied.

The University provides numerous opportunities for earning scholarships. The Office of Admission is responsible for awarding the bulk of Samford scholarships as students enter as freshmen or transfers. For a listing of current scholarships awarded through the Admissions process by the Admissions Office, or in conjunction with that office, please see www.samford.edu/admission/scholarships. Scholarship maintenance and renewal requirements are found here and in the online student portal. 

Billing Compliance

Samford University does not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a covered individual borrow additional funds, on any covered individual because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement funding from VA under chapter 31 or 33.

Samford University does require a Certificate of Eligibility to process enrollment certifications and a written request to use such entitlements.

For more information on veterans affairs education benefits, see the following URL: www.samford.edu/departments/financial-services/veterans

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.